Sunday, February 8, 2009

Differentiating between wants and needs

So lately we have been trying to push the subject of differentiating between wants and needs with the kids. We will often hear things like.....

Child: I need a new pair of brown shoes, mine are to small

Parent: You mean you won't be able to survive with only the black, white, pink, purple and so on pairs of shoes.

Child: Mom I need new crayons, mine are all broken

Mom: You shouldn't have broken them! Deal!

You get the idea.

Well last Thursday Billy and I had our own version of want and need. Our dish washer stopped working. We were in a sudden panic. It has been so long since we have washed a dish by hand we had almost forgotten how. We did buckle down after the dishes started overflowing and decided that we probably ought to go ahead and get our hands dirty. (Or clean I guess). Just let me tell ya that we survived 3 1/2 days with no dishwasher. During which we both agreed

WE HAVE TO HAVE A DISHWASHER!!!!

So Billy decided to pull out the dishwasher and just take a look before we called a handyman to come out. He found that there was just a short in the junction box. So within 5 minutes we had a working dishwasher again. Thank you Billy!!!!!

Yes we are spoiled and a dishwasher IS a necessity!

By the way...... There is something very attractive about a man who washes dishes and is the Mr. Fix it around the house. Sorry girls, he's taken.

2 comments:

K said...

Good job, Billy!!

Kristen said...

Don't you love it when you can fix a problem on your own. What a relief! And now you're just a little more grateful for the dishwasher.

Which reminds me of the apartment I lived in during my college days. It didn't have a dishwasher. Ugh! It wasn't until we moved out that we found out it was the only apartment IN THE WHOLE COMPLEX that didn't have a dishwasher. Ripped off! Those management people were a bunch of stinkers.

I am REALLY grateful for dishwashers - even my sucky one that I have now.